Problems in the apartment

Fault report

Tenants are obliged to report all faults and malfunctions in the apartment or in the common areas of the building. If you discover any fault, you must report it to TOAS without delay via fault report form. The maintenance company will check the reported problem as soon as possible.

In urgent matters such as water damages, you must call the maintenance company’s service number (open 24 h). You find the number on the front door of the building. In case of fire or other emergency, you must call 112.

Note that tenants are not allowed to make any painting work or renovations nor drill holes on the walls! Should the tenant ignore this rule, the costs caused by the repair work will be charged from the tenant.

Read here who to contact in different situations.